- Agreement: These rules govern the MUSKOKA LIFE – NORTHWORDS WRITING CONTEST (“Contest”). The act of entering the Contest constitutes acceptance of the Contest rules and the decisions of the Contest judges, which decisions shall be final and binding upon all entrants.
- Sponsor: The Contest sponsors are Muskoka Life, a publication of Metroland Media Group, and Northwords Literary Festival. (“Sponsors”).
- Eligibility: The Contest is open to all residents of Ontario who have attained the age of 18, except for employees, their immediate families and anyone living with any employee of the Sponsors or their corporate affiliates, advertising or promotional agencies. Limit of one entry per person.
- Contest and Judging Criteria: To enter the Contest, submit an original work of fiction, with a maximum length of 750 words. The work must begin with the following sentence: Sam sank into the Muskoka chair and uttered a deep sigh. Entries will be accepted by email to: email@example.com. Include your name, address, email address and daytime phone number. Contest begins on May 28, 2012 and ends on July 16, 2012. Entries must be received by 5 p.m. on July 16, 2012. By entering this Contest you acknowledge that all entries become the property of the Contest Sponsors and will not be returned or acknowledged. To be eligible, an entry must be the entrant’s original work, may not have been entered in any other contest, won any other prize or have been previously published in any other medium. In connection with your submission, you affirm, represent and/or warrant that (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents and permissions to use and authorize Sponsors to use all copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights in and to your submission to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the manner contemplated by these Contest rules; and (ii) you have the written consent, release and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the matter contemplated by these Contest rules. Sponsor reserves the right to reject and disqualify any submissions that could be offensive or inappropriate or that do not meet the terms and conditions of these rules.
Entries will be posted online at http://www.muskokalifemagazine.com. From July 17 to August 3, visitors to muskokalifemagazine.com will be able to vote for their favourite submission, with a limit of one vote per person per day. The five entries that receive the most votes will be judged by David Layton on or about August 8. Entries will be judged on quality of writing. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received and calibre of entries. The decision of the contest judge is final in respect of any matter relating to this Contest.
The potential winner will be contacted by telephone or email by a representative of the Sponsors, and must reply within 48 hours to maintain eligibility. If the potential winner cannot be contacted within this time period or fails to respond to any attempted contact, such potential winner will be disqualified, his/her entry will be declared null and void and the Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to select another potential winner based on the judging criteria, in which event these provisions shall apply to such other eligible entry.
- Ownership/Use Rights: Entrants retain the copyright to their short stories. However, by entering the contest, you hereby grant the Sponsors a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to print, publish, use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, and display your full name, essay and photograph in connection with Sponsors’ (and their successors’) businesses, including without limitation in any media formats and through any media channels.
- Prize: There will be two (2) winners. One (1) winner will receive four (4) passes for 18 holes of golf, with shared cart and driving range access, at Muskoka Bay Club. (approximate retail value of $690). Passes expire October 31, 2012. Winner must come to 34 E.P. Lee Drive, Bracebridge, Ontario to collect the prize won. If the winner does not claim the prize within 30 days of notification, the next eligible entry selected by the judging criteria set out in these rules will be contacted, and the first potential winner will have no further claim to the prize. One (1) other winner will receive two weekend passes to the Northwords Literary Festival, September 28-30, 2012, and accommodation for two at Hidden Valley Resort (approximate retail value $460). Winner must come to Algonquin Theatre, Huntsville, Ontario on September 28 to collect the prize won. If the winner is not able to attend the Literary Festival, the next eligible entry selected by the judging criteria set out in these rules will be contacted, and the first potential winner will have no further claim to any part of the prize. Sponsors will not mail or courier the prize and are not responsible for unclaimed prizes.
- Release: Prior to receiving the prize, the potential winner will be required to show valid photo ID and to sign a declaration of eligibility and release form releasing the Sponsors and their related parties from any and all liability in connection with the Contest and/or the prize, confirming compliance with the rules and consenting to the use of his or her name, essay and photograph, in any and all forms of media, without further compensation, in any publicity carried out by the Sponsors and/or its advertising and promotional agencies.
- Indemnity: By participating in this Contest, you agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsors, and their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related companies and each of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees, advisors, assignees, agents, licensees, representatives, advertising, media buyers and promotional agencies from any and all damages, injuries, claims, causes of action, or losses of any kind (including but not limited to lawyers’ fees) arising from your participation in the Contest, your violation of any term of these Contest rules, your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right; or any claim that your submission caused damage to a third party.
- Privacy: We use your personal contact information to administer contests, including contacting, announcing and promoting prizewinners.
- Banning: The Sponsors may, in their sole discretion, prohibit any person from entering the Contest whom they believe to be abusing the rules. Such abuse includes entering false information and entering more than once.
- Other: This Contest is governed by the laws of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein and is void where prohibited by law. The Sponsors reserve the right to cancel or modify the Contest or the Contest rules at any time without notice. All prizes must be accepted as awarded, are non-transferable and are not convertible to cash. The Sponsors reserves the right to substitute any prize or portion of the prize with a prize of equal or greater value. All prizes are awarded as-is and no warranties or guarantees are implied or expressed, beyond the standard manufacturer’s warranty. Sponsors are not liable for any lost, late, misdirected or stolen entries or inability to process entries, or any errors, damage or negligence that may arise in connection with this Contest, including technical failures on the part of Contest software, virus, website down-time, human error or property damage incurred by any Contest entrant. Sponsors are not responsible for any errors or omissions in printing or advertising this Contest. Use of any automated system including robotic or form filling software to enter or participate in this Contest is prohibited and will result in disqualification of all entries by anyone using such assistance. If a dispute arises regarding who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address provided at time of entry. Authorized account holder is the natural person who is assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address.